Thursday, March 18, 2010

Welcome

Welcome to my blog. I am new to quilting, but I can already tell it is a great match as a hobby for me. I can totally understand how people get addicted to quilting as there are so many facets of it -- there is always something else to try! Below is my first completed quilt of 2010. I sent it to a local quilt shop to be quilted (Thank you Tina!) as my sewing machine and lack of practice with quilting just didn't make doing it myself a possibility (yet, that is, as I will be working to that goal).
Anyway, I call it: wait for it, wait, ta da "The Lighthouse Quilt" -- pretty creative eh? ;-) I thought I could go all fancy and call it "Pharology in Fabric," but please. (Pharology is the study of lighthouses). It is for my son who just turned five. We love lighthouses and have visited many in New Brunswick and Maine. I didn't use a pattern and just cut and sewed as I went. My son was my assistant, helping me choose fabrics. If I may say so, I am really happy with how it turned out!
It was a great learning experience as I was constantly thinking about what pieces to cut and sew in what order, knowing I could only sew straight lines. It is completely pieced with no applique. I made eight randomly-sized blocks with no idea of layout, then realised if I made a ninth block and played with some frames on the blocks, I could get a uniform shape to put a border on. It is a twin-sized quilt.
Red sky at night, sailor's delight!
Figuring out how to do the little triangles on the tops took a while.
Those slashes across the sky were meant to be more dramatically crooked. Now they just look like I sewed wrong ;-)
There is an all-red lighthouse shown in a calendar we have. It is in Quebec.
My son wanted one lighthouse out on a little island. I also love polka dots!
I love that fabric with the orange clouds.
My least favourite block.
Inspired by our favourite lighthouse: East Quoddy Lighthouse, Campobello Island, NB.
The first block I made. It was fun, so I kept going.


The binding is a funky lime green with wavy stripes that I had used to represent grass in some of the blocks. I put it on and even did the corners okay, after looking at countless online tutorials. However, being a newbie, I didn't know about a "binding stitch" and sewed it regular. Something to try next time!

-
Thanks so much for stopping by!