Sunday, March 28, 2010

Big Log Cabin = Log Castle

Seems logical enough right? If a small square made of fabric "logs" is a cabin, then a whole quilt made of big "logs" must be a Log Castle! Anyway, that's what I decided to call this quilt-in-progress: Eli's Log Castle. (Eli is my son.) It was super easy, fast and fun to make. Once I calculated that the freehand letters in the middle were the right proportions to end up with a twin-sized quilt after they were surrounded with border after border after border, I was off!
-
My son helped me pick out the fabrics and although there are a couple in there I wouldn't have chosen myself, I think they work well. All the fabrics are patterned in some way or other; none are solids. The dark borders are a lively multi-coloured polka dot print. (A close-up of the fabrics is in my blog title header photo.)
-
I think this may be a method I use again. I was fortunate my son's name just has three letters as it makes a perfect rectangle to start with, but for those with longer names, their three initials would be perfect to use instead!