Monday, July 12, 2010

Pojagi Panel #3


Here's #3, (okay... technically it's my 4th panel, but for some reason I forgot to count my first effort. Probably because it felt so experimental to me, having never done it before, and wondering if my machine stitched efforts would even work.... I hope that first one doesn't feel left out... poor little pojagi panel.... I love you, I really do.)

Ah, but I digress...


This panel definitely has an improvised, modern quilt vibe going on.


These are the seams from the "back side", and below from the "front side".



Now, if you give pojagi a try, (and I hope you do), and you want to hang yours in the window, your best bet would be to use light weight fabrics, as they will let the light shine through more.


If you like cotton fabric, as I do, a light weight muslin works well, and I think one made from vintage hankies might be pretty cool, too, but I haven't tried that yet. This one, and my previos two were made from Kaffe Fassett shot cottons, which are lighter in weight then the Robert Kaufman ones, (which are great for quilts!) Also, Fassett made them in conjunction with Oxfam, an international charity that champions fair trade, thus helping to support the poverty-stricken weaving villages in India and Guatemala where the cloth is produced... that makes me very happy.

Remember... see here for a tutorial on machine stitching the seams!