Saturday, July 24, 2010

homemade ice cream . . .

Today. I will keep my leg elevated (both for the healing break *and* the spider bite). I will work on my next redwork block, Sawyer and His Pal, I will read from the latest issue of Tea Time, which came in yesterday's mail *yay!*, and I will start reading a book online, Invitation to Tea, which I found thanks to Angela McRae.

And maybe make some homemade peach ice cream. Well, probably.

More than likely.

Many years ago, probably close to seventeen, I bought a little 1-pint Donvier ice cream maker. It was fast (sometimes instant gratification is a good thing), incredibly easy, the kids could help, and it was just big enough for the three of us.

As the years passed and the kids grew older (and ate more ice cream in a serving), the Donvier got set aside and forgotten. Until recently. Since the kids are grown and gone and we're just the two of us now, we don't need a big ol' ice cream maker (and really, we don't need a whole lot of ice cream in the house to tempt us). And since space is at a premium in the RV (and the RV's freezer), it's easier to make the ice cream we occasionally want to eat.

It became apparent that it was time for the Donvier to re-appear.

I pulled it out this week to try and make a
sugar-free, low-fat vanilla ice cream.

I whipped up my five ingredients . . .

Poured the mix into the chillfast container . . .

Snapped the lid on and inserted the crank handle . . .

And I churned . . . and churned . . .

And churned a little more . . .

And in less than 20 minutes, I had a pint of ice cream!

Topped with cherry sauce and a little whipped cream . . .

Very tasty.

Okay, I will *definitely* be making some
homemade peach ice cream today!

Happy Saturday!

:)