Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Pojagi Machine Stitch Seam Tutorials

In hoping that some of you may want to explore pojagi style patchwork as well, I thought it would be helpful to post tutorials on the two types of seams that I have been using in creating my pojagi pieces.

I've broken with tradition and have chosen to machine stitch these panels, but remember, pojagi is traditionally done by hand, so feel free to use these methods with hand stitching, too!

The first tutorial is how I made the seams on my previous panel shown in the post below. The second tutorial is what I used on my most recent panel, shown in the post above.

(It probably would have been much more helpful had I used two different colors of fabric... sorry about that!)


Tutorial #1:

Note: This is a non-traditional method, but it offers a unique way of creating seams and in my opinion, has a more utilitarian/work-cloth look and feel. It has fewer steps then the second approach, but is actually a bit more time consuming to do.



1. Place 2 pieces of fabric, right sides together, lining up the top edges. Sew a 1/2" seam allowance.


2. Press seam allowance open.


3. Fold both raw edges of seam allowance in and under. Press flat with a hot iron.


4. Stitch both folded edges of seam allowance down. (I used a zig zag stitch, but you can use a blanket stitch, or a straight stitch... or what ever rocks your boat!)


This is what it looks like on the other side. (Technically this would be the "right' side.)


Tutorial #2:

Note: This method goes faster the the first method and offers a more traditional pogaji look. I adapted it from a tutorial that I found on mairuru. You can see her hand stitched version here



1. Position 2 pieces of fabric, right sides together, with the bottom fabric raised 3/8" higher then the top fabric.


2. Using the top edge of the top fabric as a guide, sew a 1/4" seam allowance.


3. Fold extended edge of bottom fabric over the top fabric, lining up the fabric edge to the stitched seam. Press with a hot iron.


4. Flip the top fabric upwards, so it is now on top of the folded seam allowance. Press flat.


5. Flip the 2 fabrics over and you will see your stitched line and the folded flap of the seam allowance.


6. Staying as close to the folded edge as possible, stitch the seam allowance down. You have now completed one seam. As you can see, there are two stitched lines on this side...


... and one stitched line on the other side. (Technically this would be the "right" side.)

Hope this makes sense!