Wednesday, July 14, 2010

My Husband the Mer-Man

So I'll get to the Mer-Man bit in a minute ... but first, the preamble.
-
I'm going to my first quilt show in September. I'm actually even going to enter some quilts in it! It is the Kennebecasis Valley Quilting Guild Show. I'm quite excited about it.
-
I found out that I could enter about a month ago and the deadline to do so is in August. I have two quilts already done that I am going to submit, but I also thought that making one specifically for the show would be a really good goal. Now I feel like a kid getting ready with a project for the big science fair!
-
Of course what I'm working on is a *secret*. Oh my, I would LOVE to show some pics of what I have done so far, but if I leave pictures until the end then that is another motivator to be sure I finish.
-
It's going great so far though, and if I may say so (in my humble beginner-quilter opinion) it is awesome. It's just kind of this wacky thing that mixes traditional and modern and is sort of a good memory of my first year of quilting. It involves pretty much every fabric I own.
-
But back to the Mer-Man. I love to fussy cut and one thing about this "secret" quilt is that it involves quite a few fussy cuts. Some of these are representations of my family members. I didn't intentionally buy the "Mermania" fabric so my husband could make a quilty appearance, but today once the idea struck me, there was no turning back. My son and I were laughing so much when I said that it could be Daddy. I could go into a detailed description of how it does and doesn't look like my husband, but all in all it is at least a pseudo-real, comical representation of him. And it will forever be an in-joke for us.
-
But, now onto the rest of the family ...
My daughter. I also used to this little girl to represent her in her princess castle quilt. It is just perfect for her!
My son. He plays T-ball so he picked this fabric for himself.
Me. I also used this fabric in my daughter's princess castle quilt. I love it!

Happy Quilting!