Saturday, April 10, 2010

Hip Pocket

Last weekend my one daughter was commenting on how happy she was with a sun dress that she recently purchased at Target. The main source of her happiness was that the dress had hidden side pockets. We started to have a discussion about how much we both adored pockets, and rattled off all the things we loved about them.


A few days later I found myself researching the history of pockets and found these fabulous images of 18th century pockets that were part of woman's undergarments. Seems that back in the old days pockets were not sewn on to clothing but worn separately, tied around the waist, and hidden out view.



I was so enchanted by the images I decided to try and make one.... however mine is meant to be seen.


It's small, measuring just a little over 7" long, but easily holds a cell phone.


I included a tiny little pocket to carry a good luck penny, based on this old nursery rhyme that i also found while researching:

'Lucy Locket lost her pocket,
Kitty Fisher found it;
Not a penny was there in it,
Only a ribbon round it.'


Another pocket was added on the backside, to carry some cash.

This one was just for fun, but now the bug has bit me and all other sewing projects are on hold, while I play around with this concept. My mind is reeling with design possibilities... Hope you like this, because I'm hooked! More to follow soon. ;0)