Sunday, April 4, 2010

False Starts and Fabric Fun

Along with the fun of learning to quilt without a pattern, I have certainly had some false starts. Two are shown in the photo above. The letter E block is my first attempt at what would become the Eli's Log Castle quilt and the T block is from what ended up being the Vitali-T quilt. The E block wasn't used because I just wasn't motivated to do a whole quilt of "E"s after doing a whole quilt of "T"s. Also, my children are very different from each other, so I wanted their letter quilts to reflect that ... I didn't want my son's to simply be a less inspired copy of my daughter's. Anyway, the Eli's Log Castle was a lot more fun to make than just lots of "E"s. I had 4 "E"s done before I changed my mind, so they may go on the back of the quilt, or perhaps on a pillow or perhaps ... who knows?
-
My problem with the first T block was just realising it wasn't the direction I wanted to go in. I had envisioned something like a T sampler quilt with "T"s incorporated within various styles of quilt blocks. I soon knew it would be too much. The fabrics I had were crazy enough without making every block wildly busy.
-
Anyway, hopefully with more experience there will be fewer false starts. It's all part of the learning process I guess though, and fun nonetheless.

Now, onto the fabric ... I fortunately got to buy a nice little pile of fabric this weekend during a trip to the beautiful state of Maine. I don't have much of a "stash" yet, so it is great to be able to add some nice variety. I have three quilts in mind to make with what I purchased. I just love the bright springy colours and of course the Halloween fun!