Sunday, April 18, 2010

Princess Crown or Art Deco Skyscraper ...

I am very close to being done The Princess Castle quilt top, now also known as Royal-T (it is for my daughter Tess). I am hoping to take it to the long-arm quilter early next week. Anyhow, it will be a twin-sized quilt, so I have been busy making borders. This is where the block above comes in -- for the corners. It is of course a crown. I wanted to make a big Princess-tiara-Miss-America-style crown and this is what I ended up with. For my inspiration of how to make this I remembered seeing this tutorial (FFP Quilt Corner) It is a tutorial to make a cool block that looks like flames. I kind of freestyled it from there. That is how I ended up with this art deco skyscraper, er, I mean princess crown. I thought the jewel on top would help. I tried it in a contrasting colour, as in a ruby, but it didn't look right. Oh well, in the context of the whole quilt I think it will be fine ... and fancier than just triangles at least ... ;-) It is an eight-inch block.