Wednesday, December 8, 2010

tough day, happy finish . . .

It was a tough day yesterday. I'm not going to spend a lot of time on it, but when I got home from work and physical therapy yesterday, I was very discouraged and frustrated and angry and sad. I almost felt like I was in mourning, which when I think about it, may actually be a fairly apt description.

Anyway, Todd was on shift, so it was just me. I got in, put up my stuff, and headed outside to put up my wreath and my winter welcome sign. And in that same tub were the Christmas lights Todd had strung on our awning last year. And as much as I adore outdoor lights, we had pretty much decided we wouldn't do that again, because you've got to take the lights off before you roll up the awning (which you have to do in heavy winds) which made it rather impractical! But as I was standing out there, I had an idea; we had a porch this year -- I could string the lights on the porch!

So I pulled out the mass of lights and set to untangling them. Ummm. Yeah. What a mess! Not only were they tangled up, but there were those big, plastic-coated paperclips attached to them in various places, which was complicating matters! I thought about quitting several times, but the activity was just mind-numbing enough (not to mention the temperature was foot-numbing) that I felt like it was just what I needed to take my focus off me.

The result:

Something that makes me smile!! I came in, ate some cookies with chocolate, put Elf in the dvd player, and laughed and smiled. And I really smiled when I looked out my little kitchen window and saw this . . .

Yay for the little happies!

When Elf was finished, I decided I go ahead and take advantage of my alone time and work on that Christmas table topper. Next thing I know, the whole top is pieced!

I'll sandwich it up and quilt it tomorrow and/or Friday. Yay!

Doesn't it look like it was just made for this table?

Oh, yeah -- I guess that's because it WAS!

:)