Saturday, December 18, 2010

I Got the Boro Blues


Seeing as the 2 pieces shown in this post are called "Boro Blues" and "Boro Blues #2", let me start off by singing my own blues to you, over the poor quality of natural light which has been hanging around the last few days, (actually it seems like the whole month has been one long cloud). The quality of these photos is not what they should be, so my apologies. To make matters worse, the two quilts shown were photographed in different spots and at different times of the day, (I was trying in vain to go to where the most light was, sort of like my little dog Ellie, who seems utterly lost without a patch of sunshine to lay in).


Okay, now about the quilts... most of you know that I am very interested in Japanese Boro, and sometimes use it as a stepping stone for inspiration. The two works here were inspired by the the heavily patched and often erractic and eccentric stitching found in some boro pieces, similar to this absolutely amazing and authentic boro futon cover which you can see here. (How I wish it were mine!)

I went back into my scrap bag to make these quilts, and experimented with two different approaches to see what would result...


For "Boro Blues" (shown directly above) I started by piecing a background panel, then added various patches whose edges are turned under and appliqued on with a small zig-zag stitch. The machine quilting is done in various stages as the patches were added on, so some quilted lines go over the patches, while others go under.


Details of this piece can be seen in the photo above and below, (click to see a bigger image).



For "Boro Blues #2" (see below) I experimented with a different approach...


I began with a piece of fabric the size of the finished work, and began laying raw edge patches over the surface, zig-zag stitching them in place.


I'd do a layer of patches, add some quilting, do another layer of patches, and add some more quilting. This resulted in a piece with a bit more weight to it, and with a more ragged look. (By the way, "boro" means ragged!)


If interested, both pieces are currently available in my shop.
(Update: Both pieces have now been Sold)


Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!