Friday, December 10, 2010

the first noel . . . and the last supper

I love my little nativity. It's not conventional; far from it. It's actually made up of nesting dolls (which I also love) that my daughter brought me back from one of her mission trips to China. The biggest figure is Joseph, in whom rests Mary, in whom rests a wise man, in whom rests a shepherd, in whom rests baby Jesus. (If you click on the picture, you can have a closer look at the group.) I love getting it out and opening up the dolls, one out of the other, and then putting them together and lining them all up around the baby Jesus.

Last Christmas I asked Todd to put up a mantel over our television (which, with the help of a yuletide DVD, doubles as our fireplace), so that I had a special spot to put the nativity scene. This year, as I looked at the picture I'd just snapped of it, it struck me . . .

The scene of the first Noel sits underneath the scene of the Last Supper. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about the poignancy of it. The first days of Jesus shadowed underneath His last days. For why else had He shed his deity? That He could be born a baby boy and grow into the man who put others first and Himself last. The Father gave the Son to be the Savior of the world.

It makes me mindful of John 3:16, 17. . .

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him.

Joy to the world!!

:)