Sunday, December 12, 2010

full day and a funny . . .

Yesterday was a lovely stay-at-home day, but it was also busy, busy, busy!

I'd gotten gifts for several events over the next few days on Friday. Todd's station Christmas party was last night, and I had to get a 'lady's gift' for that, a gift for my Secret Pal, and an ornament for my Stitcher's Group Christmas party on Tuesday. For the first two, I got darling little cookie platters from one of my favorite local small shops -- Two Friends.

But cookie platters, no matter how darling they are, don't look right unless they have COOKIES on them! So I baked some chocolate chip cookies and arranged them prettily and tossed in some Godiva truffles for a festive look! A little cellophane wrapping, a little ribbon, and a cute gift tag, and VOILA . . .


I made the gift tags in Publisher. I really like making my own gift tags! I printed these on photo paper so they'd be glossy and the fun Christmas colors would really shine.

So, after the cookie baking and platter wrapping were done, I needed to make an apple pie. I had popped the fire in the DVD, but I was really ready for a movie, so I put White Christmas -- a classic favorite -- in my laptop. Then I plopped down on the couch with a bag of apples and peeled and sliced away!

For one pie I use three large Granny Smith apples and three large Braeburn apples.


Piled high in the shell!


And since this was for a Christmas party, I fancied it up a little by making little holly leaves out of the trimmed pie crust!


It baked up very prettily!


While the pie was in the oven, I pulled out my yo-yo's and finished up this cute little tea towel, to give as a hostess gift. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out, and it was super-simple!

Okay, now for the funny . . .

When Todd came home off shift yesterday morning, he brought with him the mail, and tossed it in my lap. One of the pieces was the priority envelope below, which was from Honeybee Fabrics. I am currently doing a block of the quarter from them, and I had chatted, via e-mail, with Melissa (the owner) earlier in the week about the mailing of the next installment. She'd told me it would be sometime this month. Naturally, when I saw the return address, I assumed it was the BOQ, and I said, "Yay, something for me!"

Now Todd looked over his shoulder at me and said, "It has my name on it!" Well, yes it did.

But that happens sometimes, especially if I order stuff through paypal; because of the name on the account or the name on whichever card is used, sometimes my things come with his name. They're still my things, though he often teases me about opening stuff addressed to him.

What I saw was . . .

Honeybee Fabrics and it didn't register with me that it could be anything BUT my BOQ! So I ripped into that envelope and pulled out the contents REALLY expecting to be dazzled by the next applique installment. Especially since Melissa had sounded really excited about it.

I was so confused. Where was the magazine? Where was the fabrics? What in the world was . . . OOPS! It really *was* supposed to go to Todd. He'd ordered something off my Christmas wish list . . . from Honeybee Fabrics. LOL! There was no hiding the fact that I'd opened the envelope, so I just 'fessed up.

Todd said, "Well that won't be a Santa gift! Merry Christmas!"

:)