Thursday, December 16, 2010

'tis the season . . .

My heart has ached with the joy of this all day long.

I had a great day. Not just because of the stuff that happened today, although it did have its fine moments -- like our guild meeting -- but I'll share that tomorrow. With pictures.

Tonight, I want to share this profound thought that came to me this morning, that's filled me with wonder all day long, and quite frankly, changed how I looked at things just a little. If I'd tried to go to bed without writing it out, I'd have probably burst!

I'm not sure how it happened. I was listening to Rick & Bubba on my way in to work. They had a guest on this morning with whom Rick is going to be speaking some time in February, and they were talking about Jesus. And something he (Rick) said struck in a chord in me.

I've been thinking about this past year and subconsciously I've been running a kind of tally -- the blessings versus the bad things (or at least what I consider to be bad things on the face of it). Our time in Camp MACOBA, the goodness of our family, church family, and friends, the birth of my precious Sawyer, the announcement of another grandbaby-to-be, the incredible selfless and generous love of my husband, my terrific online friends: all these things -- and so many more, really -- were in my blessings column. I know how downright blessed I am and how rich in so many ways we are.

Then there are the tick marks in the other column. The accident in May and the damage to my foot and the long, arduous healing process, the possibility of another surgery, the bite from the brown recluse spider, the asthma . . . and still, even as I type these things out, I know how protected and blessed I was through these incidents. How incredibly fortunate I am.

Still, sometimes it's easy to get caught up in a little pity party. I admit it. I'm a frail human being and my focus gets ... distorted ... occasionally. I measure my one list against my other list, and every once in a while, I'm tempted to ask God, "Why me?" or something of that nature. But this morning, it hit me . . .

No matter what else God may do for me (or you) . . . there is nothing more miraculous, more selfless, or more loving than what He already did, by stepping down from Heaven to be the perfect, complete sacrifice for my sins.

And even if I were to wake up tomorrow and have no foot pain, be completely healed, and be able to walk and jump and dance unhindered, it would pale in comparison to what He has already given to me. And really, the more I think about it, the less I care about the one, knowing I've received the other.

So this is Christmas. The greatest gift. Have you received it?

Because of Jesus, I truly can count it all joy!

:)