Thursday, December 16, 2010

Selvage Trimmed Pillowcase

Okay, admittedly I have selvages on the brain ... I was just minding my own business this morning planning to make more pillowcases for Christmas gifts, when the idea of trimming one with a selvage strip -- as the piping or accent fabric -- popped into my head. Of course I had to try it and I love the result!
The selvage says "Love!" ... I mean come on, and it has a soft shaggy edge?! Perfect. This little pillowcase is for my three-year-old daughter. I showed her the selvage strip this morning (she loves the soft edge) and I said I'd have her pillowcase done by the time she came home from preschool. So I've been true to my word. The pillowcase took maybe a half hour tops, french seams and all.
-
The only problem I had was with the home decor weight selvage. I really wanted that word "Love" that's on the selvage, and it turned out wonderfully, but I did break a needle doing the last pass on the french seam over the place where the selvage and cuff met. It was too thick. Now back to our regularly scheduled program -- that is selvage-free pillowcases for Christmas gifts. I have a whole pile to make. Should be fun! Happy Sewing!
-
Also, welcome to my new followers. Thanks for joining in! And the giveaway answers about Santa's middle name are totally cracking me up!!!!!