Monday, November 22, 2010

Pretty in Pink Quilt Finished

First off, yes, that is a sprinkle of snow on the ground!
-
So this the Pretty in Pink Quilt I made for my daughter Tess for Christmas. She's three and it will go on her toddler bed. This is my first project completed and crossed off my Christmas to-make list. Yay!
It is made of 130 squares (5 inches each). It's kind of I-spyish with quite a few novelty fabrics mixed in. Some fabrics only show up once in the quilt, but other ones that I really like show up 4 or 5 times.
-
I quilted this myself with straight lines both horizontally and vertically just off to one side of the seams. This is the first quilt I've quilted on my new machine and I am pleased with it. I will say that I had to pick out my first row of quilting three(!) times and was getting quite frustrated -- even with soothing Christmas music playing in the background. I think the issue was that along with my lack of practice at quilting, I am not a good baster. I had pinned too far back from the seams so the fabric was pulling crooked. After the third time of picking out the quilting I pinned and pinned and pinned, and from then on it was fine.
For both the backing and the binding I used Woodgrain by Joel Dewberry. I use this fabric a lot. It's just one of those friendly fabrics that seems to get along well with others. Know what I mean? I have this same print in orange and in a greenish colour as well.

The finished quilt is approximately 45 by 60. Now I'll tuck it away until it's time to wrap it up for Christmas.
And, off the topic of quilts, look at the view out my dining room window the other day -- at about 10:30 AM. I was just typing along on my laptop when I noticed these guys out of the corner of my eye ...
-
Want to browse some other crafty stuff, and maybe get some handmade Christmas gift ideas? I am participating in Made by You Monday. Just click here to see the master list of everyone else participating! Or, if you want to see some other nice projects made of fabric, just click here for Fabric Tuesday participants!
-
Happy Quilting!