Friday, February 18, 2011

Some Blue and Green

I've made some progress on my son's blue and green quilt that I'm making for his sixth birthday on March 5th. He helped me go through all my fabrics and scraps to make the squares. We ended up with a nice variety of novelty/I-Spy type fabrics and more basic mixers.
I love the owls shown above. That is an Alexander Henry fabric. I used the last of what I had in this quilt. I just have the smallest scraps left now.

Usually for a quilt like this that is all single squares, I like to choose the location of every square specifically. I line them all up and move them all around before sewing anything. This time though, I decided to be a little more adventurous and chain pieced a bit first without worrying too much about combos. I pieced in sets of two, and then four before I arranged them.
And I think it worked well. It was certainly faster and the designs and colours still look nicely distributed throughout the quilt.
It is all sewn into rows, waiting for ironing.
-
Thanks to Shirley at The World According to ME and Linda at 13th Street Studio for posting about my blog lately. I also wanted to say thanks for all the nice comments I've been getting recently. I try to respond by email to comments, but a lot come through without an email attached, so if you haven't heard from me I just wanted to say here that I appreciate your kind words!
-
Happy Weekend!