Sunday, February 13, 2011

3rd Journal Quilt: "Opposites"

This third Journal Quilt was a rather quick project. It started with a simple statement - "I wonder how stitching through acrylic paint pieces would work?" Jens heard this simple sentence - next thing I know, I had a leftover piece of acrylic paint (it had dried and hardened on the palette) in my hand. It was yellow ... and the new theme for our challenge was "Opposites" ... in my opinion, that called for purple. Out came the box with my purple scraps, and I pieced a roughly 6" square in dark-purple scraps. I layered it with a backing and some batting. Next thing I took the acrylic paint piece ... and after all the straight seams in the background, I cut it up with some curved lines. With a little help of Mistyfuse, I glued my two pieces down to my background. Than I quilted - with yellow thread, of course ... - a freehand-grid over it. Last step was finishing the piece; done with a zig-zag in yellow.
Conclusion: stitching through acrylic paint pieces works ... but: it breaks very easily. When I use it again, I'll use some very thin netting on top of it to keep stray pieces in place. I'm already glad about this Journal Quilt idea, it gives me motivation to really try new techniques hands-on and stops me from only thinking about doing it. What will I try next ??? For the 4th Journal Quilt, the theme will still be "Opposites" ...