Monday, February 21, 2011

opposites | my journal quilt

Hi, Marlis here. It’s hard to believe that another month is almost over. I had a lot of fun working with this month’s theme OPPOSITES – in the sketchbook as well as with fabric.



Opposites. So many possibilities: black/white, shiny/dull, patterned/plain, organic/geometric, vertical/horizontal, circular/angular – to name just a few. The next blank page in my sketchbook was aqua green, so I decided to opt for the color first. Aqua green’s complementary color is red – not my favorite color combo. But sometimes we should get out of our comfort zone, shouldn’t we?

When I prepared my sketchbook, I applied a candle resist to some of the pages before painting them. More often than not, I used one of my favorite marks: the “curved” cross. A couple of months ago I started to use this mark extensively and in various ways: stitching, drawing, stamping. I even carved some stamps out of erasers. I guess, I have to think about why I just love these marks…

To finish the pages, I added some drawings and the flip-out part is created in the opposite color scheme: red on aqua green.