Friday, February 11, 2011

I'm Falling Apart at the Seams



Yes, just like this local old barn, I feel like I am falling apart at the seams, and this is why...

My plan was, that by this point in February, after weeks of diligent and dutiful stitching, I would have loads of wonderful new work to share, (now, listen closely and you just may hear God laughing).

Things started off well enough, with a few small pieces that I liked, (and gave a little peek of in my last post). After those, I made several more pieces, but they just didn't have anything going for them. Then my machine went on the fritz, but I forged on, using the back-up machine I have for my daughter. (A great little machine, but it still feels like driving a foreign car... everything feels backwards and different then what I am use to.)

Once I had my machine back and in good repair, I got sick and didn't do much more then lay on the couch and sleep for 3 days, dreaming of all the terrific quilts I would soon be making. After those 3 days, I went right back to stitching. Each piece held promise in the beginning, in the middle, and right up to the end... where suddenly each work that had held so much promise, all of a sudden looked really, really sad. They went from looking like Cinderella at the ball, to Cinderella standing one foot bare, in the pouring rain, holding a half-rotting pumpkin.

So, I changed direction... allowed new ideas to flow. Ah, now I was on the right path... that is until the work and I took some unknown wrong turn, and I found myself right back in the middle of nowhere.

And that is where I currently am... nowhere further along in my journey then I was a few weeks ago... But, as the old saying goes, if at first, (and in this case second, third, fourth, fifth, etc.) you don't succeed, try, try again. And so I will. (Wish me luck!)