Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Outdoor Hands-Free Quilt Photo Shoot

I love taking pictures of my quilts outdoors in a natural setting. Although my preferred method is to drag my tall, long-armed husband along with me, it isn't always possible ;-)
-
So, after a bit of thought, here is what I came up with for my last "photo shoot". The simple supplies are above. I used a spring rod adjustable curtain rod and some wide-mouthed plastic clips.
Before I even left the house I clipped the quilt onto the rod. I adjusted the rod so it was about 2 inches bigger than the quilt top on each side. The quilt shown is a toddler quilt, but I'm convinced it would also work for larger quilts -- as long as they are not too heavy.

I used four clips which I spaced evenly. The open section on the clips allows the quilt to slide back and forth along the rod which allows for better arrangement in the next step.
Next I went outside and found a tree with a good horizontal branch.
Here's a picture from the back. It was surprisingly easy to simply "set" the rod across the branch, using the smaller twigs to balance the rod. The quilt is nice and straight because the rod doesn't bend. Also, because the clips slide along the rod, I was able to fix that little droopy part on the right after I noticed.
-
The best thing about this is that no clips touched the tree and no ropes or makeshift clotheslines (which could hurt the bark) were involved.
Here is what it looked like from the front. See the rod and clips? But then, with a quick crop on the photo edit ...
Bye bye clips! And you've got a cool floating quilt.
-
Thanks for stopping by. Happy Quilting!