Wednesday, January 26, 2011

highly prized | my journal quilt

Hello everybody, Marlis here. I introduced myself ages ago but haven’t posted since. I’m glad Frauke and Kit came up with the Challenge idea. I am participating in the Sketchbook Challenge and, being a quiltmaker, I’m more than happy to join this Journal Quilt Challenge. I quite like the idea of working with the same theme in two different mediums (paper and cloth). My goal is to make one Journal Quilt a month in the size of 8”x8”.



When the theme “Highly Prized” was announced, I did a quick brainstorming. What do I prize highly? My husband, my cats, the view out of my living room window, Sushi, a glass of Prosecco, my daily walk, my friends ... and a lot more. I can’t draw (or that’s what I thought before I joined the Sketchbook Challenge…), so I picked the most difficult topic <g>: my cats, or more specifically Flori Cat. For the Journal Quilt I used a digitally processed version of the same photograph I had used as reference when I made the pencil sketch and printed it on fabric. I made my own stamps for the paws (from erasers). The piece is freehand quilted following the irregular lines of the background fabric. Very simple - but that's the way I like to work (my motto is "less is more").

Btw: this is my sketchbook page: