Monday, January 17, 2011

back in the saddle, again . . .

This is the first time in ages I've actually had something on my design wall. Whew! I worked on my Patches & Stitches BOM and finished the blocks up. I love the colors I've chosen. A lot of batiks, which is probably a quilter's no-no (mixing batiks and regulars), but it was appealing to me, so that's what I went with.

Also very appealing to me? Purple and orange. I have no idea why! But that orange that's in both blocks just sang my name!

And not only that, but it yelled for purple to go with it!

I do want to 'quilt as you go' with these blocks. I'm going to use the orange to set the blocks (I did decide right at the get-go that I didn't want to follow the quilt model P&S was using). And then the purple to put the blocks together.

Now I have to decide how to set them in the orange. Squared or on point?

Todd likes the on point -- I'm not sure that it's not too much orange. But it's such a gorgeous orange, who cares?!? Setting it on point will give me more quilt, but I'm not really concerned about size. Any thoughts?

I do know that on back, the blocks will be done in reverse. The backing will be the purple, and the orange I'll use to link them together. I'm not sure what I'll do to bind the thing, but I've got time!

I've also got this project for today . . .

It's all washed, pressed, and ready to layout, add the batting, and go! I'm going to yarn tie it off (in the center of the bubbles) and then I think I may outline stitch every other square of owls. Just to give them some 'puff'. I wish you could touch that blue flannel. It's so yummy!

Hey -- check out Judy Laquidara's Patchwork Times blog to see who's got their *creative* on this Monday morning!!

I'm off to Joc's to do a little measuring and then to Hancock's to pick up some notions. From there, it's home and an afternoon of fabric therapy!

:)