Monday, August 16, 2010

design wall monday, prepping for friday night sew in!

Wow! It's been ages since I've had the ability, desire, wherewithal, whatever, to do a design wall Monday post! But I woke up this morning thinking about this quilt and the fabrics I'd use, so I took that as a sign to get going!

Since I've finished all the redwork blocks for my "Overall Sawyer" quilt, it's time to put the nine patch blocks together that flesh out the quilt top.

The pattern shows it with a solid red, and a red and white fabric. I've always visualized my final product with blues in it -- a bluesy, denim blue -- so I pulled out my stash this morning and pulled out blues, blues & whites, and reds that I thought might work.

These are what I found:



I thought about doing the blue & white with a more solid navy like this . . .



Or this. I really love the blue in the fabric above; it's got that washed denim look to it. I love it! But the blue and the blue & white just didn't cut it. Hmmm.


So I tried pairing the blue & white with the red . . . I really like that red, and it's perfect with the color of the embroidery thread I used! But, nope, I didn't really like that pairing either.


Now mind you, I'm not going to use the sailboat fabric, but I did decide I like the combination of the red, white & blue with the blue solid. It ties the red in nicely from the redwork blocks and still gives me the blues I want. These blocks are relatively small -- 7-1/4" finished -- so I'll want to find a red, white & blue fabric that's a smaller print, but I don't mind doing a little fabric shopping!

To see what's on the rest of the quilting world's design walls this morning, check out Judy's blog, Patchwork Times.

If I'm able to get the fabric in time, it's probably what I'll work on for the August Friday Night Sew-in!! If you've not participated in this before, you should really check this out. It'll be my first (I really wanted to participate last month, but wasn't able). You can sign up on Heidi's Handmade by Heidi blog. Click on the button to go directly to the signups! It's this Friday, August the 20th.


There's been a flurry of activity out the back window this morning. Deer have been in and out all night, from the looks of the corn -- there ain't none left! LOL! It was still pretty dark when I first lifted the shade, but I could make out two does. A little later on I looked and there was nothing. Then I looked again and there was one doe, then two does, then nothing, then a doe with three fawns! One of the fawns headed out early, though, so I'm assuming it belonged to a different doe. Especially since the doe and the other two fawns headed out in the opposite direction! As I sit here, another lone fawn is crossing the camp road, heading out of the woods behind the pavilion, over for a bite to eat. It hasn't taken them long to figure out where the good stuff is! Not that there's much left this morning. LOL!

It's also light enough now that the birds have come in for breakfast -- they do carry on so! We put a fountain/bird bath out this weekend, but so far nothing's come in for a drink or a splash. Of course, we've had a bit of rain both days - let it get dry enough and they'll be lining up.

Have a great day!!

:)