Monday, May 31, 2010

The Joy of Simple Squares

First off, yes, it is May, and yes, those are Halloween squares. Again. ;-) This is the start of my daughter's Halloween quilt. I really just wanted to try a nice plain straight ahead patchwork square layout, so this is it. Those are 4.5 inch squares. It is a toddler-bed sized quilt.
-
It will be my second quilt that I machine quilt myself. I am planning straight lines just off to the side of each seam. I may try glow-in-the-dark thread which I think would be really cool for a Halloween quilt, but part of me is saying, why would you want your amateur quilting attempt and crooked mistakes to glow? Wouldn't it be better if they just blended in? So it may be orange thread instead, we'll see.
-
In the picture the squares are only sewn together in one direction. I'll try hard to make it line up nicely when it all goes together.