Tuesday, May 4, 2010

inspiration . . .

Someone asked, the other day, on their blog, "What inspires your quilt making?" I had to laugh because just recently one of our friends was talking about a tile job he was doing for his son and daughter-in-law, for their back splash. I was very intrigued by what he was talking about and asked him to sketch it for us. It was very eye catching (and I was a little consumed by it). After sketching and re-sketching the blocks myself, I finally found a photo online that looks similar to what he was doing . . .

It's referred to as a pinwheel tile layout. I found lots of pinwheel tile layouts when I searched for the phrase, but this one was the closest to what he'd sketched.

I thought to myself . . . QUILT!

And I proceeded to draw it out in autocad. And then I pulled it up in paint and filled it in, just to see it!

But because of the way the squares are offset, it's not pieced as squares, but rather as strips . . .

The dark lines indicate the pattern, the dashed lines indicate the strips that would have to cut/sewn together. Lots and lots of strips, with different colors/fabrics!

I haven't seen a pattern for this anywhere I've looked; and I've looked through all kinds of books and online references. Has anyone else?

Happy quilting!!!

:)