Sunday, May 2, 2010

Attack of the Scraps Quilt

So the plan was to make a quilt that I would quilt myself. I free-pieced this using all scraps. I did it quite quickly ... you know the adage measure twice, cut once ... well this was more like measure never, then cut, slice and dice. I wanted to make a quilt top that I wouldn't feel too badly about wrecking if disaster struck during my first attempt at using a walking foot.
Well, I'm pleased to announce it's not wrecked and I am really happy with it! I definitely need major practice with quilting, but at least it was a start. I will also say that I don't know if the foot on the machine ever went for a nice walk ... it was more like a saunter, then a crooked stagger, then a jog ... the stitch length on the quilting is as scrappy as the top itself! I did use a variegated thread which is lovely. I made an argyle pattern using diagonal stripes spaced 2.5 inches apart.

I backed it with Flea Market Fancy, the gold seeds. It is lovely and soft.


Being modelled by the new owner. The quilt is 45 by 60. It is a cuddle/travelling quilt for taking in the van on trips.