Tuesday, February 16, 2010

whoops!

I was going to load up some pictures from our Valentine's party on Saturday night, but I forgot I'd taken them off my camera and loaded them onto my laptop. Bummer. Oh well, there's always manana!

We had another minor snow event last evening . . . and off an on throughout the night and into today, even. Just enough to keep patches of black ice on the roads, so drivers must beware. I'm holding out for a *major* snow event. If ever there's been a year for it, this would have to be it!

I did get all my quilting stuff packed and organized for my weekend! I decided to take Joc's wedding quilt project, Sawyer's baby quilt project, the two Patches & Stitches BOMs from last year that I never finished doing the blocks for (forget putting the blocks together), some crafty stuff I got from Hooked on Quilting *ages* ago -- I think it's felt winter ornaments -- AND I am bringing my book and special fabric for getting comfortable with machine quilting! What better time to play with such a thing, right?!?!

I have a subscription to The Quilt Show, which my darling son and daughter-in-law got me for my birthday last year. I've really enjoyed it, too. Yesterday I watched part one of a series of tutorials that really got me wanting to put my hand (so to speak) to free-motion machine quilting -- the first tutorial is free and can be seen here. The woman who does the tutorial is Patsy Thompson and she does a wonderful job walking through the set-up stages. I had to pause it several times to run back to my machine to see if it did what hers did. I'm good! Oh yeah -- and she was giving the tutorial on her own home sewing machine. Yay! I'm really looking forward to parts 2 & 3! Her voice is well-modulated and she's easy to listen to, too. Definite "two-thumbs up!"

From there I went to the current show, which featured "quilt doodler" Linda Taylor. Oh. my. goodness. Her work is absolutely INCREDIBLE! I was in awe of her long-arm quilting skills! She has classes on Quilting School.Com and you can find a gallery of thumbnails of some of her work here (if you register you can see regular sized photos). It's worth the two minutes it took to register to look through her quilts!! Breathtakingly beautiful!

On that same show, Alex Anderson demonstrated how to draw a perfect eight-pointed star. That was an intriguing process.

Anyway, I e-mailed the owner of Grand Oak Retreat and found out they *do* have wireless Internet throughout the building. Forget the bathing suit for the hot tub -- I'm taking my laptop!

I'm getting more and more excited!

Toodles!

:)