Wednesday, February 10, 2010

To Wash or Not To Wash?

Last year Kathleen & I designed this quilt for a design challenge. The theme was "Pump up the Color,"  so we took it as pump up the color on a bike. The quilt, well it's actually a wall hanging turned out really darling. If you look really close you can see the tiny embroidery detail that Kathleen did. The bike is all wool applique and those are miniature bolts of fabric in the basket and yes, they even have the name of the fabric on the end of the bolt.
Well, this quilt has a little secret behind it. After it was all quilted, bound and ready to be judged we had to get a little bit of blue pen out of it, we drew on where we wanted the embroidery. So we decided just to get it wet in a few places. Little did we know, the wool blead like crazy! Luckily we found some Rit undie and were able to remove all of the bleeding. WHEW!!
(This quilt was to be judged and then auctioned off.)

Generally I like to wash my quilts, I really like the old look that washing gives to them. Like this quilt.
After having a quilt bleed that bad I am really nervous to wash my quilts.
So, do you wash all of your quilts?
Do you pre-wash your fabrics?
I know that the high quality materials should not bleed but I'm just a little gun shy now.

Don't miss our sale @ Piece N Quilt!
For more fun updates sign up for Piece N Quilts newsletter.
Leave a comment, we'd love to hear from you.
~Natalia

Bookmark and Share