Friday, February 5, 2010

{Creative Guest} Whitnee

Hello Piece N’ Quilt! My name is Whitnee, by day I am extremely left brained, I teach high school, business and marketing specifically, but by night I have a little bit of right brain that comes out where I can enjoy my creative hobbies of photography, sewing, and cooking! I often joke telling people that I don’t know how to sew, so when Natalia asked me to be a guest blogger, I told her I wouldn’t know what to share since I don’t sew!

I was the 4th of 5 children, but there is 11 years between me and number 5, so I was the youngest for quite a while, and my mom still refers to me as “the baby girl,” having two older sisters, I always wanted to copy everything they did, and I guess I kind of still do with my sewing! My first experience with sewing came while growing up; my mom was a custom interior decorator, she owned a decorating shop where I spent every day of many summers. I would always see my mom designing people’s entire houses, and mixing and matching fabrics to decorate every room. Later on in life I would always see the beautiful quilts my sister, Natalia, and mom would create, so I would decide I wanted to sew beautiful things also, but mine never seemed to turn out so great… In fact, I would be embarrassed to show anyone these things I had made.  After growing up with a mom and sister that are so creative, and amazing at sewing, you can see why I joke that I don't sew!

I do have a couple sewing confessions.  I don't own a sewing machine... When I sew, I drive to my parents house to use my moms industrial sewing machine, or I use my sisters Bernina.  I don't know how to thread a sewing machine, or bobbin.  I hand appliqued all my applique until recently when my sister showed me how to applique on her Bernina.  I love precut fabrics, somehow my fabric doesn't turn out straight when I cut it myself, so I really love using precuts!  I only learned how to sew ruffles and yo yo's in the last couple weeks.  I do not piece anything that is not in a straight line!  I love to make baby quilts!  Also all reasons I tell people I can't sew!

I made my first “real” quilt when I was 17 years old, as a junior in high school.  The youth in our church were asked to express their talents for the Joseph Smith 150th birthday celebration.  With the help of my mom, I designed and made this quilt representing the Sacred Grove.  My quilt ended up being displayed at a region competition, where it was chosen to be displayed at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building in Salt Lake City for a week during General Conference.  I was also so excited about this quilt because it was the first quilt I had machine quilted! 
As a beginner, everything I made was from Buggy Barn patterns, I loved their patterns, and loved how my quilts looked harder than they actually were! For the next couple of years I became busy with school and getting married.  I would make a small project here and there, maybe one quilt a year when I had a chance.  One day while looking at different patterns on the internet I came across Zig Zag Shangri La, I loved the fabric, and I loved the pattern and decided I'd find some time to make it!  Zig Zag Shangri La was my first experience with precut fabrics, all but the borders were made from 2 jelly rolls!  I ended up putting this quilt in the local fair and won a blue ribbon!
My favorite thing to make is baby quilts or table runners.  I love that they are quick, cute, and I can finish them before getting burned out on the project!  I haven't used many patterns before, I usually find an idea, then consult with my mom and Natalia for an easy way to make that idea that will only include straight lines!
I graduated from college last spring, since then my sewing has become a little out of control!  I almost always have at least one project in the works.  Natalia has also been busy quilting away, so I have become the designated piecer!  I joke that I should buy beds to put in our extra rooms so I have somewhere to display my quilts!  A couple of my favorite projects completed in the last year were:
Simply Authentic, I made this quilt for my 16 year old sister in law for Christmas!
Simply Denim, I made this quilt for my husband for Christmas! I think I like it so much, because he truly loves it! (I also like the bright colors mixed with the denim)
And my very favorite thing that I made during the year were these Christmas stockings!  I really loved the Figgy Pudding collection!
Currently I am working on some projects using Authentic by Sweetwater, Whimsey by Fig Tree & Co., and Verna by Kate Spain!  I can't wait to share these projects!

Thanks for letting me share my story, and sewing experiences!

~Thank you Whitnee for being a guest blogger today! If you didn't already figure it out Whitnee is my sister. She is amazing at what she does. I love her attitude towards sewing and quilting. It's just a hobby and she's just going to have fun doing it! She didn't mention in this post but she also spends a lot of time helping me by playing ring around the rosies, taking Chesney potty and being her second mom. Thank you so much Whitnee, I couldn't get half the work accomplished that I do if it wasn't for you!

Don't miss our sale @ Piece N Quilt!
For more fun updates sign up for Piece N Quilts newsletter.
Leave a comment, we'd love to hear from you.
~Natalia

Bookmark and Share