Sunday, February 21, 2010

Kiss your Kids

There are two reasons I really dislike winter... the cold, and the viruses that go around. I dread those viruses.

On Friday, my teenage daughter M. got a stomach virus. Now, these are always unpleasant for anyone, but for her they can quickly turn very dangerous. For whatever reason, M. is extremely susceptible to dehydration, (no doctor has ever been able to tell us exactly why, just that some people simply are). Despite all of our precautions, and following doctors orders diligently, it always seems to happen, and it generally happens in the blink of an eye. One minute she can seem fine and alert, the next minute she starts to pass out. Friday evening was no exception.

She awoke from an hour nap, feeling much better, after being sick most of the day. I was relieved to see her looking good, and we talked a bit as I followed her to the bathroom, and waited outside the door in case she needed me. Two minutes later she emerged, slumped and slurring her words, and then she fainted, going down inches away from me, like a ton of bricks, and hitting her nose and head pretty hard. To say I was scared is a gross understatement. By the time I got her to the hospital she was tired, and in pain from the fall, but much more alert. She had no memory of fainting.

Not only was she severely dehydrated, her blood pressure was extremely low. Even after a full IV bag, it still was dropping, reaching a low of 77/37. After another IV bag and a few more hours, I was able to take her home. (Very lucky this time as previous episodes have resulted in days of hospitalization.) She is on the mend now and should be up and about in another day or two.

So, remember to kiss your kids today, and let them know you love them. Seeing your child so vulnerable, always puts things into perspective.