Wednesday, January 6, 2010

to every thing . . .

Yesterday, I wrote, "To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heavens."

It wasn't just a random thought (although it probably read that way).

And it's not an original thought, either. (I know, right? You're blown away!) It's straight from God's Word -- the third chapter of Ecclesiastes.

What an incredible passage of Scripture. God the Almighty has deemed a season and time to every purpose.

It begs the question, what is my God-deemed purpose in this time & season of my life?

My answers (the easiest ones) also come from God's Word . . .

in Ecclesiastes He tells me, Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.


in Matthew He tells me, "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven."

in Romans He tells me, "Therefore I glory in Christ Jesus in my service to God."

in 1 Corinthians He tells me, "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."

and in James He tells me, "But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger" and "Submit therefore to God, resist the devil and he will flee from you."

In 1 Thessalonians 5 there's a whole section of verses dedicated to a believer's conduct (and I've written about some of those verses previously):
But we request of you, brethren, that you appreciate those who diligently labor among you, and have charge over you in the Lord and give you instruction,and that you esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Live in peace with one another. We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek after that which is good for one another and for all people. Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. Do not quench the Spirit; do not despise prophetic utterances. But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil.
And this is just a smattering -- a tiny sample -- of God's direction to us. To me.

Wow.

So if I'm hard-pressed to know what my purpose is, I don't have to go far to know what the end result should be. And I'll be honest, sometimes I do wonder what it is God wants from me. What should I be doing? How should I be serving Him? And lovingly and gently, He brings me back to the conclusion that His Word holds all the answers. I don't need to wander aimlessly in the desert, looking for a clue. If my day-to-day living is based on the principals of His Word, I'll be serving my God-given purpose. In the season and time God's given me.


He's so faithful!

:)