Sunday, October 24, 2010

Scrappy Scarecrow Halloween Costume

My five-year-old son Eli decided to be a scarecrow for Halloween this year. He also dressed as one back in 2006, so I was happy to get another chance to make this costume! (I think he wanted to be a scarecrow as we feed the crows at our house, and they are always around, so it is a fun connection for him.)
-
Anyway, this is such an easy and fun costume to make -- plus very inexpensive. It consists of a second-hand pair of jean overalls, a plaid shirt and a hat (sitting on the pumpkin in the picture). Then I used Halloween fabric quilting scraps (even leftover binding strips for the ties) and I spent a whopping ;-) $3.00 at the dollar store --- a dollar each for a package of fabric leaves, a bag of raffia for straw, and a little bag of plastic mice. I did splurge $2.99 for a crow for his hat, which I thought was a must-have.
-
It is a no-sew costume, except I did put some haphazard embroidery thread stitches over the glued-on scraps to make them look a little fancier. The scarf I simply cut out with pinking shears. Other than that, it was glue gun all the way.
My son's favourite part is the mice in the straw in his pocket. There are also two mice peeking out of a pocket on one pant leg.

This should be comfy to wear at school all day and easy for bathroom breaks (important consideration for kindergarten kids) as once the straps are off, it is very loose, and drops easily ;-). Also, the raffia won't actually touch his skin anywhere, so there is no itchiness. The only place it really sticks out beyond the costume is at the ankles, and good socks underneath will take care of that.
-
Anyway, if you need a last minute idea, I highly recommend this -- easy, inexpensive and super cute!