Thursday, October 28, 2010

Five Minute Halloween Curtains and a Sneak Peek

I obviously like to sew and quilt, or I wouldn't have this blog ;-) , but I am also a big fan of things you can do super quick with little or no sewing. Exhibit number one: my Halloween "curtains". The photos show my dining room. The curtain in the corner is a Halloween panel I bought thinking I would just use it as fabric and chop it all up (you can get some really cool fussy cuts that way) but I had lots of other neat fabric so I didn't use it. Instead I hemmed the sides and sewed the hangers on the top to make it into a curtain. I didn't even hem the bottom as the selvage is there and it says "Witching Hour." After Halloween it will go back in my fabric drawer and probably get cut up next year.
The other two curtains are actually more like five-second curtains. The last time I was at my favourite place to buy fabric, they had this cool Halloween kind of sheer stuff for $1.99 a yard. I think it is meant to be sewn into fancy Halloween costumes -- like as the skirt of a pretty witch or a pumpkin princess dress. Anyway, to me it screamed curtains. I bought 5 yards and cut it in two sections of 2.5 yards each. I clipped the corners of the fabric up on the very edges of my curtain rod, over top of my usual white curtains. Rather than trimming the fabric down to a better size, I let the extra drape to look fancier (or could it be I was too lazy to cut it again?) Plus, with the extra draping you really don't notice the unhemmed cut edge. So, anyway, I'm pretty happy with it, both when the curtains underneath are open or closed. And once Halloween is over I can pack it away too and do whatever with it next year.

The orange pumpkins have a little shine which isn't translating in the photos.

And finally a little sneak peek. Above is my quilt that I will be posting tomorrow for the Bloggers Quilt Festival. It is my fourth and final Halloween Quilt of 2010. It has Halloween scraps and lots and lots of selvages.