Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I'm using....

Quite often I'm asked the question "What do you use?" So today I'm sharing what I'm using.
The most asked question I get is about my quilting. No, I do not quilt on a conventional machine. I have a Gammill Premier with a stitch regulator. I have been machine quilting for three years. I have actually never tried quilting on a conventional.
Look Bonny, it's your quilt!
All of my piecing and applique is done on my Bernina Anniversary Edition. I have had this machine for about two years and I LOVE it! Definitely a little pricey but I have never had a moments trouble with it and it gets it's share of use.
Batting, I prefer to use Quilters Dream Blend batting, it's a low loft batting and it lays, washes and quilts beautifully. On occasion I do quilt with more lofty type batting's and I prefer Quilters Dream Puff or Wool for loft.
Thread, I love So Fine by Superior Threads. For the most part I piece, quilt and bind using So Fine!
I know someone will ask how I store my thread. Well, I buy in cones so the best storage I've found so far is a Super Satchel Art Bin. They have removable cone holders and I love them for my thread storage. I got mine from United Notions.
I've had a few of you ask about binding. Here's our little secret. If the quilt is going to be judged or in any show then we attach the binding by machine to the top and then do a whip stitch using So Fine thread on the back.
If the quilt is not going to be judged or in a quilt show then attach by machine all the way. To attach by machine we attach our biding to the back of the quilt first then to the top using So Fine thread. Just make sure you've got a thread that matches very well. I also like this style of binding for quilts that are going to be heavily loved.
Click here to see how we prepare our bindings.

Hopefully this answered some of your questions. 
If you have more I'd love to hear them and I'm more than happy to do another post like this.

Don't miss our sale @ Piece N Quilt!
For more fun updates sign up for Piece N Quilts newsletter.
Leave a comment, we'd love to hear from you.
~Natalia
{Connect with us}