Sunday, March 13, 2011

Come Fly with Me!

For Challenge 5-Flying Geese I based my Project for Project Quilting on the art work of graphic artist MC Escher (Maurits Cornelis Escher).  I found the two pieces of artwork on Google images and decided I could place triangles in a similar pattern to create a cool design on the front of the quilted bag.  I used orange and purple for my complimentary colors. Then I decided I needed extra borders to make it larger and added the strips in a log cabin fashion creating a step like design element to the sides of the bag.  Then I repeated the V on the back of the bag - upside down.   My original plan was to make a small passport bag for myself, but I was having so much fun with the triangles, I decided I had to make a larger bag. So when I quilted my large bag fabric piece,  I also quilted a little flying geese design of on black and white fabric to use to create my small passport bag. My Fly Bag is about 14" wide by  15" deep.  I used a poly batting to make it a little lighter as I will pack it full for flying.  I don't have a passport yet as that is another long story... I plan to eventually apply for one, but it seems I never do it!  Maybe next week!