Friday, March 25, 2011

Snip. Cut. Slice. Dice.

My sewing machine has not been cooperative at all lately so I had to take it in for repair. That means no sewing for now. I've been cutting instead. I don't mind cutting as long as it's just a little bit at a time.
-
First in line for the rotary blade are the strips above. Those are the leftover scraps from my Scrappy Random Railfence Blocks, which I will be using in the border of the quilt.
I'm also going to throw a few of the scrappy sewn pieces into the border for variety. The quilt will be queen size, so I need about 200 border strips for a nice piano key border.

Speaking of 200, that is also the number of 4 inch squares I'm cutting for an I-Spy Swap I've just joined. I am cutting 20 squares each of 10 different novelty fabrics and I will end up with 200 different I-Spy squares after the swap! Yay! Above is what I have done so far. That clock fabric is my favourite novelty fabric ever so I just had to share some. I really like the fabric with the little presents too. And the candy .... okay, so I like them all. Novelty fabrics are definitely my thing.
And since I know I'll have 200 different squares after the swap, I thought I'd get more of my own ready to add in, and make the biggest I-Spy quilt I can. Above are 5 inch squares that I've had put away (cut from scraps). Now I'll just trim one of each pattern down to 4 inches square.
And here are more fabrics that I don't have enough of to cut twenty squares from for the swap, but I will cut one of each for myself (and maybe a few bonus squares for the swap hostess ... *wink* Crystal)
And if all that cutting doesn't keep me occupied until my machine is returned, there are always selvages to cut for both my Selvage Heart Quilt and the Selvage Countdown Quilt.
-
So happy weekend everyone. We are off to the sugar bush this weekend for maple taffy on the snow and pancakes with maple syrup. Yum! And earth hour is Saturday night. We are going to an earth hour potluck at a friends which should be fun, so I won't be at home cutting by candlelight ...