Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Operation Complete Scrap Depletion: Progress

I've been making more of the scrappy random railfence blocks (tutorial is here). More, as in lots more. I have 36 now, which is enough for a quilt.
I am really happy with how they turned out. I find them to be fast and fun to make, and I really like the step-by-step assembly line aspect of them. Plus, they really are scrap eaters! My pile o' scraps is shrinking, shrinking, shrinking ...
They are definitely a bit on the busy, lively side though, so I decided that rather than simply place them all block to block I am going to add some sashing between them. This will also make the quilt larger as I'm aiming for a queen size quilt for our bed.
-
The dots above were the three fabrics I decided to choose between for sashing. They will be the only thing in the quilt that isn't a scrap. Now, if you're thinking: Didn't she just say the blocks were already busy and lively, how on earth are any of those sashings going to calm things down? Well, I admit the quilt will be far from calm, but at least the blocks will be separated, and set apart as individual squares rather than just a big sea of scraps.
Here's a picture of the sashing test run. Some notes on my thought process:
1. The yellow looks great.
2. I thought that the green would be my choice, but surprisingly it seemed to just zap the life out of the colours of fabric around it. You know how that seems to happen sometimes.
3. The pink looked wild and crazy and way over the top.
-
So I asked my family what they thought.
1. The colour I ended up going with was my husband's third choice.
2. It was my six-year-old son's second choice.
3. It was my three-year-old daughter's first choice.

Hint, hint ...
Hee, hee. We'll see. (Those pieces aren't sewn yet, they're just hanging on the design wall)
-
Thanks for stopping by.
-
Welcome to my new followers. Per usual, I pledge to work hard to attempt to keep the content here creative and fun.
-
Happy Quilting!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced