Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Halloween Spidey String Quilt

So, I just had to make another Halloween quilt ..
I had picked up some new Halloween fabric while vacationing this summer and it just didn't seem right not to use it. Plus, I wanted to try to make a spiderweb block -- and spiders and Halloween are such a perfect match.

The quilt is my own design, inspired of course by the traditional spiderweb string block. Because of the way the spider web is set in the middle of one large block, with no repeat, I couldn't use any of the tutorials I had seen to make whole quilts using this block repeating over and over. If making a quilt with an all-over spiderweb design, each piece you put together is, in the end, a part of more than one web. I just wanted this one big central web (the center area is 24 inches square), so I freestyled it and made my own template.
-
Some pictures of my template and approach are below. I started with a 12.5 inch square. One thing I soon realised (after some cutting) was that in my case, my background template could not be exactly the same for all eight pieces. I needed four cut from one side and four cut from the other side -- to deal with the angles properly. I would suggest if you make a template, to label the sides A and B. Cut four background pieces with A facing up, then flip it and cut four more with B facing up. I have a feeling this probably is confusing to read, but it is the type of thing that once you start actually doing it, you realise what pieces you need to make it all work.
-

I used Bristol board from the kids' craft cupboard.
I cut it in half on the diagonal. I saved one half for the trimming template, and cut the other piece into a background template with a leftover piece to lay the strings over.
I didn't paper piece. It is actually really easy to judge the length of your strings needed just by laying them out and arranging them how you want before gathering them up to sew.
Once they are sewed up, trim away.
Ta da! One eighth done already.
-
Anyway, beyond the web, it was borders. I think that the random-width piano key border just may be my go-to border. I'm always using it. Do you have a go-to border?

I am really happy with how it turned out so far. Now just quilting and binding. And already I'm thinking that if I made this quilt again it would be really cool with ALL spiderweb or spider fabrics. I love how the three that I used look. Just imagine it with about 20 different spiderweb fabrics. And spiderweb fabrics are definitely a Halloween staple. I'm sure there are well more than 20 available!
-
The quilt is about 50 inches square.
-
Happy Quilting!