Monday, July 4, 2011

Vintage Sheet Quilt #2 with a Bonus Pillow!

 So here's my latest quilt, once again made from vintage sheets, and since I mentioned a few posts ago that I wanted to make some smaller things this summer, I also made a small(ish) matching pillow.
-
The bear in the middle of the pillow is fussy cut from a vintage pillowcase.  The way the colours of the bear match with the other sheets is kind of, you know, perfect.  I'm sure you quilters have had that little moment of delight when you realise your chosen fabrics just click.  I may or may not have insistently called my husband to come check it out immediately (!)  I mean I had to show him that the extra stop at the thrift store where I bought the pillowcase had indeed been necessary after all -- I now had irrefutable proof.
 The quilt is made of 6 inch squares set on point.  The focal fabric is a striped sheet.  The other fabrics in the blocks are all florals.
 The quilt is about 42 by 56 -- just a nice cosy size for my four-year-old daughter.  I quilted it with a wavy line stitch just off to one side of the seams.
 I quilted the pillow too.  The pillow is 20 inches square.  I had bought several unopened Ikea pillow forms at a neighbour's yard sale for 50 cents each.  I think I probably would have preferred more fully stuffed forms if I was buying them at the store, but my daughter likes how squishy the pillow is -- meaning it is good for hugging.
 You can see the quilt backing in this photo.  It is a pretty pink floral.  The binding is a pale yellow.  All fabric is cut from vintage poly-cotton sheets.
 The batting is cotton bamboo.  The quilt is nice and light and soft.
My daughter discovered that the back of the pillow and the deep pocket I made is a perfect miniature cosy bed.
-
I'm hanging out with other crafty sorts at {Sew} Modern Monday and Manic Monday.  Happy 4th of July to my friends in the USA!
-
Posted by Riel Nason on The Q and the U