Friday, July 15, 2011

A Quick Road Trip With Some Fabric Pit Stops

 Last Sunday and Monday we took a quick trip to Halifax so that I could do a little presentation about my upcoming novel The Town That Drowned at a bookseller conference.  (It went well.  Everyone was super friendly and great)  It is only a four hour drive so en route we made some fun stops. 
-
First up was Sackville, NB, which is very near the Nova Scotia border.  The swan above is a resident of a pond at the Mount Allison University campus.
 Here he (or she) is posing.
 There are actually two swans in the pond and they are friendlier than my kids would have liked.  One got out of the pond and walked over to us.  Tess took off running. 
 The true reason for our stop in Sackville was to visit the Sackville Waterfowl park.  It is a great spot with boardwalks over the water so you can see the birds.  We saw these ducklings.  Tess (age 4) called them "duck fawns".  I love how her logic works -- you see, she didn't know the word "ducklings", but she knew that baby deer are called "fawns", so baby ducks must be "duck fawns." 
 Next stop was my turn.  We drove right by the Value Village on the way in to Halifax so I bought some vintage sheets.
 Here is the Giant I-Spy quilt on the bed in the hotel. It will be travelling with us this summer.
 On Monday, before we came home we stopped at Atlantic Fabrics in Dartmouth.
 Big surprise, I bought Halloween fabric.
 Then we stopped at Dayle's in Amherst.  It is a huge old department store with a little Dry Goods department!
 And guess what?  They had a bit of Halloween fabric out at 50% off.  I should also say that a friend and I are putting together a raffle basket for our guild's show in the fall and our theme is Halloween fabric.  I will be cutting a FQ off each of these pieces to put them in the basket.
And a little more, all just small pieces.
-
Happy Weekend!
-
Posted by Riel Nason on The Q and the U