Thursday, April 28, 2011

Minky - what I think-

I just finished quilting these two darling all Minky quilts. 
I asked yesterday your opinions of Minky and it seems as though most have the same opinion. 
Minky has a lot of pros and cons. Here are a few of my opinions.

Pros
It's 60" wide
It's super super soft
It's nice to cuddle with
It gives quilts a little extra body
There are so many darling prints and colors now available

Cons
Cost 
Stretch
Distortion
Hard to stabilize

 I have really mixed opinions of Minky, I think I feel the way most of you do. I don't mind quilting with it on the Long Arm machine if it is used as the backing and the backing is at least 5" larger than the quilt top.  I have tried quilting with it on the long arm with cotton fabric on the top and minky as the backing with no batting and I was very unhappy with the result. Because of the stretch of the minky on the Long Arm machine it seems like the batting acts as a stabilizer.  

If you are looking for a super soft alternative that is a little more stable and not so expensive try fleece. I've quilted with it as backing on a few quilts and it quilts beautifully.


Thanks for visiting our quilting blog!
Have you checked out our patterns recently?
 For more fun updates sign up for Piece N Quilts newsletter.
Leave a comment, we'd love to hear from you.
~Natalia
{Connect with us}
youtubei