Friday, April 29, 2011

FQG Quilt Show Part 1 of 2

I went to a quilt show today -Yay! It was certainly a rare treat for me to do something fun like this on a week day. I went to the Fredericton Quilters' Guild show. Wanna see some pics?
This was a super cute little wallhanging near the entry to the main room of the show. I actually took the picture to show my kids. They love cats! I like the rotary cutter the cat has. This piece is by Sandi MacMillan.

This was a great miniature display. I am fascinated by the skill and patience it takes to create something this intricate and small. See the hexie one? That was my people's choice for favourite miniature. Any guesses on how many hexies are in it ?????


1801 hexies !!! This was made by Barb Perry. I spoke with her at the show. She said she cuts all her own templates and all her own hexies (not just rough squares from what I understood, but actual fabric hexagon shapes before sewing). I think they are 1/4 inch hexagons (as in each side is about 1/4 inch). For an idea of size, see the thumbtacks just below the quilt. You can see that the hexies aren't too much bigger than the head of the thumbtack. To sum it all up : WOW !!!


I loved the energy in this quilt by Barb Cross.


Now, this quilt is by Trudy Corey. It's very nice, traditional, dare I say unassuming? BUT, it has a little surprise in store for you ...


Check out the quilting! Skull and crossbones. What a surprising whimsical touch.


And this was a cool one by Jean Ketch. The arches actually have piping.


More quilt show quilts to come in my next post. Happy Weekend!