Sunday, April 10, 2011

His and Hers Quilt

The conversation went like this ...

Me (to my husband): So I think I'm finally going to make a big quilt for our bed. Any thoughts, suggestions or whatever?

Husband: No. (Then a pause) But not too much pink all over the place, okay?

Me: Okay. Or at least not on your half of the bed anyway. (Totally joking)

... but then a lightbulb turned on in my head ...

And here's the result, the "His and Hers Quilt". It's my own design and I am so happy with how it turned out!

Click any photo to enlarge if you wish.

It is huge since it is for our queen-sized bed. It is 102 inches square.

The fabric in the large strips is by Jennifer Paganelli (one of my absolute favourite designers). It is from the Mod Girls line, but it is out of print. I had bought 12 yards of the pink and 6 of the blue quite a while ago on clearance. I was just planning to use it for backing on future quilts. But once I thought of the idea of a half pink and half blue quilt, it was totally serendipity that I had it in my stash!

The quilting was done by long-arm by Tina Hanson of Town and Country Quilts in Rothesay, NB. She did a great job as usual. It is quilted in a blue variegated thread on the blue side and a pink variegated on the pink side. She even ordered special thread for me for no extra charge. Thanks Tina! The other fabrics are all stash fabrics or else scraps I had. Unbeknownst to me I guess I had been collecting bluish and purplish fabrics. I am really drawn to that colour combo. I had lots of pink from making quilts from my daughter. Shelley of Red Quilts sent me some red and pink Meadowsweet Henna Garden which was perfect in the red and pink side. I also had some Valentine fabric which worked. The binding is also the Jennifer Paganelli fabric. Pink on the pink side and blue on the blue. Here's the back. And, since I love this quilt so much, I thought I'd write up a free pattern for it to share here. It is very straight ahead and simple. It is really just a variation on a coin quilt. I just want to double check my measurements and calculate the fabric requirements before I post it, but I am hoping to have it up within a week and a half or so. Be watching the blog if you would like to try making your own His and Hers Quilt. Reflection of the quilt. Behind the scenes. Both my husband and I had to hold it since it was so huge. Thanks so much to my Mom for taking the photos. We were at the Rothesay Common, Rothesay, NB. The quilt is already on our bed. Of course there have been some jokes about not crossing the line and staying on our designated sides. My son has already checked that it is okay for him to sleep on the pink side. ;-)

Happy Quilting! And for some fun, I'm going to have a big linky party bash. I'm joining in Sew Modern Monday , CraftOManiac Monday , A Marvelous Mess and Fabric Tuesday. Click any link to see lots of other bloggers' fabulous stuff.