Saturday, April 16, 2011

Meet My Selvage Quilt Family

I have had this idea forever, but I finally got it transferred to fabric! This is my little selvage family for my Love-Serendipity-Family Selvage Quilt. It's my favourite use of selvages yet. It was so fun to choose the perfect selvages for each family member. My husband has "Prints Charming," "Love U," and two selvage pieces that say "Brother Sister Design Studio." We have a son and a daughter (a little brother and sister) who he helped design ... hee, hee ;-) Here are Tess and Eli. Tess is almost 4 and Eli is 6. I made them the same height. Eli is a little taller in real life of course, but Tess is gaining fast. Her selvages are "Sugar and Spice" since that's what little girls are made of, as well as "Belle" and "Growing Wild." Eli has "Growing Wild," "Geniuses Grow Up" (Like most Moms, I think my kids are smart) and "Kids." I just used "Love" for me. I tossed some pieces quickly up onto the design wall. These are all separate bits not sewn together.
This picture is a bit better and less cluttered. In the real quilt the pieces will be well spaced and alternate between selvage sections and red.

So the selvage family is what I finished up for my first time participating in the Friday Night Sew-In. It was more like a Friday Evening Sew-In for me as I was all sewed out by just after nine o'clock. Oh well. I'm just not a late night sewer. These little selvage stick people were really quite easy to do, but I definitely picked up on a couple of things I'd do differently next time. I thought I'd write up a little tutorial ... lets say within the next few weeks ... the His and Hers Quilt Pattern will be my next post.

Happy Weekend!

Handmade by Heidi