Wednesday, September 9, 2009

THOUGHT PROCESSES . . .

May I make a confession?

I've really been struggling about just what books/magazines/media would make the shift from our 3,000+ square foot home, to our 300 (maybe) square foot RV, with a 3,000 lb weight limit.

Really, REALLY struggled!

We're tossing all the dvd clamshells and putting all the dvd's into one of those books made just for that. That's condensing. We'll no doubt do the same for our cd collection. I reported earlier this week that I was scanning my magazine clippings into pdf files, and I think I've resigned myself to doing that for the intact magazines I was planning on keeping too. Instead of keeping any of my quilt magazines, I'll go through and scan the projects or articles that I really want to be able to reference (some day way on down the line), and toss the bulky magazine. I think I'm going to keep my Tea Time magazines intact. They are more of a collection; I've got every single issue that's ever been published. But, as time passes, I may even just scan those, too. So, see? I've struggled, yes, but I'm also conquering. I am woman, hear me roar!

And then there's my precious books . . .

Hey, I've come a long way. I've sorta-kinda gotten over the book thing. This is major. MAJOR! I have a *huge* collection of books. Shelves and shelves and shelves. Books double-stacked on shelves and shelves. Books stacked in random spots. Books stacked in hidden spots! I love to read, and I love to buy books. Lots of all kinds of books. Have I mentioned I have a lot of books? Cookbooks, fiction books (then there's the whole break down of those), historical books, crafting books, hymnals, children's books, reference books, Bible study books; there really are a lot of 'em.

L O T S.


But. I have sucked it up and decided that with the exception of my Bible, one or two really good Bible references (that I can't get on cd-rom), and my Mitford series books (including the cookbook, the beside companion, and the rest), the books go. Or rather, they don't go with me on the RV.

Ooops. Then there's my quilting books. I'm taking 'em. I AM TAKING THEM! It's not like I have a whole lot. I've put a moratorium on purchasing them. No, really -- I just last weekend put down two books that I had in my hand and was ready to purchase. Discipline, right? As it is, I only have enough to fill a shelf that's right at a single yard long. Not bad, eh? Especially for one like me who is a BOOK FANATIC! I think it's pretty incredible. So incredible that the books themselves deserve to make the move.

Have I talked me into it yet?

It means I probably can't take any shoes. Oh the sacrifices I have to make.

I prefer flip-flops anyway.

:)