Saturday, September 12, 2009

LAZY DAY?

Well, it certainly started off that way. I was not motivated to do much of anything this morning! We slept in late -- it was nearly 7:30 when we got up this morning! Then we lounged around drinking coffee and discussed all the things we *could* do, until about 10:30. The day really did get off to a slooooooow start! But then I wrote my list and headed off to the grocery store, and things picked up from there.

I was reading Hanne's Quilt Corner blog and she has a picture of a beautiful hexagon quilt she's worked on in today's entry. It reminded me that I still have not shared pictures of the unfinished quilt top that belonged to my Grandma Wadleigh, which my aunt sent me last month. Here it is! You can see from the closeups that not only did she hand piece, but she fussy cut a lot of the hexagons. Whew. I'm not sure when I'll get around to finishing this up! I'm a more than a little anxious about it -- I don't want to mess it up! It's very dear and precious to me!



As I was sorting my magazine clippings this week for scanning, I came across a recipe for "Scotties" that looked pretty good. It was a nice change of pace from brownies. I tried 'em out today -- they were very easy and are very tasty. I will send the plate in with Todd for the crew at Station 6, tomorrow! Here's the recipe:


Scotties

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 large egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts

1. Heat oven to 325°F. You'll need a 9-inch square pan lined with nonstick foil (let foil extend 2 inches above pan on opposite sides).

2. Put sugars and butter in a 2-quart saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring, 5 minutes or until butter is melted and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool about minutes.

3. Whisk in egg, then whisk in remaining ingredients until well blended.

4. Spread in prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until sides being to pull away from foil and pick inserted near center comes out with moist crumbs clinging. (Batter will rise, then fall. Edges will be higher than the center; that's okay.) Cool in pan on wire rack.

5. Lift by foil ends onto cutting board. Cut into 6 strips, then cut each strip into 6 squares. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.


Mmmm, mmmm, GREAT!

Let's see . . . what else? Oh yeah. I remembered I have a gift for my Secret Pal this week. I hate spending money I could be spending on my Pal on the gift bags, so I've challenged myself to use things I have here at home to cleverly wrap the gifts I leave for her. She's a big John Deere collector, so this week I pulled out some leftover fabric I had from the Grand Hands quilt and came up with . . .


TaaaDAH! What's the saying? Necessity is the mother of invention!

Last but not least, here's a glimpse of what I'll be taking in this evening and tomorrow afternoon between church services!


October's issue of Quilter's World


The September/October issue of Southern Lady


and the Halloween issue of Celebrate!

Can you say, "Happy Camper!"?? That's me!

:)