Monday, April 6, 2009

A Little Bit About Nature and a Finish...Almost

The wetlands a few mile down the road is home to a bald eagle family.  Eagles do not always return to the same nesting site to raise their young but this nest is in use once again this spring.
Keep in mind when you look at this photo an adult eagle is almost 36" tall or close to one meter in height with wingspan is 7 feet.
This nest is about 50 feet in the air and at least as wide as the eagle's wingspan.  I once had a chance to see an eagle building a nest in Minnesota.  I doubt I will forget the experience.  The eagle would fly over dead trees and break off branches with a loud cracking sound.  It always such a treat to see these beautiful birds.  It is easy to forget how large they are.

On another note, I am so very pleased to report that this quilt will be ready for binding this coming weekend.  I have been hand quilting this king size quilt on an off since January of 2008.  The fabric and pattern are from Fun Quilts.  I rarely buy kits but I just fell in love with these fabric designs and colorways.  I can't wait to snuggle up under it this summer.

Have a great week!

Chris