Monday, September 22, 2008

Walking in Nature


Sometimes living in the peaceful countryside can be deafening. There are some many different layers of sound to be heard. My hydrangea bush is covered with honey bees and there wings beat with industrious buzzing. I can hear a cicada infrequently over the singing of the tree frogs and crickets. Jack and I go for a walk and he sends all the grasshoppers and cricket running for cover in the tall grasses. Sometimes we are invaders, other times we are accepted as part of the natural flow. Today while out walking I spied a doe sleeping down in the woods along the creek bed. I sent her silent thoughts of admiration as we passed by and she watched me pass without alarm. I can smell a fox or a skunk somewhere nearby. I hope to see a fox and wish that Jack does not find out it is a skunk.