Thursday, May 5, 2011

Marco Polo Quilt Guild Show

I went to the opening of the Marco Polo Quilt Guild Show at the New Brunswick Museum in Saint John, NB last night. I thought it was just a night to browse the quilts and have a sneak peek before the show opened to the public today.

My friend Tanya and I went. When we arrived no one was around and I thought that maybe the time had been changed. (When I dropped off my quilts on Sunday the time had been changed for set-up and no one let me know, so I figured it had happened again.)

Anyway, it turned out that everyone was in a theatre room for the awards announcement. I didn't realise there was an actual presentation; I had thought that the ribbons were simply placed on the quilts and people were given a program with the winners list ...

So it was cool to see the ribbons given out. It really added an element of excitement to the whole thing.
Sue McEachern who is in the KVQG with me won big. See the four ribbons on her quilt -- including Best of Show. Sue is a talented, kind and generous quilter who has volunteered to give me some tips on free-motion quilting should I ever dive in ...

And it was really fun that I was there, because my lighthouse quilt won 1st place in the Large Contemporary category. Thanks to Tanya for taking this picture. (I quickly checked that the quilt police weren't around before not just touching, but grabbing my quilt).

The show is on until Sunday and I will be going back tomorrow with my family. I hope to get lots of pictures to post here. I was so, so impressed with all the fabulous stuff at the show!

Happy Quilting!